Toledo Police Museum
Open every Saturday from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. Free Admission.
In 1867, Ohio legislature passed the Metropolitan Police Law which required a full time paid police force for the City of Toledo. At 8 AM on April 27, 1867, the "MP's" as they were respectfully called by the public, took charge of policing the City of Toledo.
The former Toledo House of Correction near the village of Whitehouse operated from 1918 until 1991 and housed people serving sentences for misdemeanor crimes. Inmates at the correction facility, commonly known as the workhouse, grew vegetables, raised hogs and cattle, and quarried limestone on the farm.
The Toledo Police Museum was given permission to collect items from the Workhouse and document its condition before it was demolished. CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS AND VIDEO.
Caption: It was the summer of 1967 when this group of Auxiliary members of the Toledo Fraternal Order of Policemen were making sandwiches for the annual picnic [at the Workhouse].
Pictured from left to right, are: Beverly Moore, Sally Cooley, Delores Mattock, Vivian Kasha, Danny Arendt and Angie Tierney. (Thanks for the memories, Beverly Moore of Swanton, Ohio.)
A Toledo Police Department Picnic at the Workhouse in either 1962 or 63. A HUGE THANK YOU to NORM GRODI for sharing these photos!
Back Row: Ed Fugate, Bob Matecki, an English Bobby whose name has been lost to time, Tom Hall and Norm Grodi. Front Row: Dick Haberstock, Celine Marciniak, Tom Beaudry and Bob Pitzen.